Star Wars

Star Wars
Property of George Lucas, LucasFilms Ltd.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

X-wing: Rogue Squadron (or, Copy Red Leader, Rogue Squadron is prepped for reading)

Our next book on this wild, crazy Star Wars adventure is the first Rogue Squadron book by Michael A. Stackpole. I have been very much  looking forward to reading this book ever since I started it as a young teen and never finished it. I only vaguely remember that my attempt took me about 50 pages into the book. And then another, more interesting book came along (I know, sacrilegious! Blasphemy!) and I dropped it like an Ewok that had caught fire. I never went back to it, but I still have my copy, and I'm really excited to pick it back up again. The only thing I distinctly (maybe it's more hazy...) remember is that the Rogue Squadron had a super cool hangout that was sort of like the Batcave, but for Star Wars. So of course it was cooler than the Batcave to a Star Wars nerd like myself. And also that I had a HUMONGOUS crush Wedge Antillies, so it's kind of amazing I never picked this book up again. Oh well, I'm reading it now and my 14 year-old self can go back to crushing on him!

Esme's Thoughts

Okay, I totally don't remember the Batcave but now I'm even more excited! Like Ro-ro, I don't remember reading this book, or series, all the way through as a kid. I remember a friend of mine was wild about them and thought Mirax was the coolest thing since sliced bread (just as well because no way was she taking Mara Jade away from me!). I also remember really liking Corran Horn and his bizarre CorSec/fighter pilot/super-secret Jedi background.

Plus, you know, Wedge Antillies. If there was ever a more awesome Rebel pilot ... well, there isn't actually, so there you go.

I'm super excited to start reading this one. Let's hop to it!

8 comments:

  1. So, 73 pages in already and beginning to see why people love this series. I'll admit, the writing bugs me. Maybe it's because I see the effort behind it sometimes - grammar that seems like it's trying to hard to be smooth and impressive. It doesn't interfere with my enjoyment, for them most part. We'll see if I stop noticing when the plot picks up and there's more action ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agh! You're so ahead of me!! I'm still only like 10 pages in... I need some serious reading time. Is it wrong to pull an all-nighter when you're almost 30? I feel like that's the sort of thing one does when one is young and in college. Maybe I'll give it a shot tonight, I want to see what you're talking about Essy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to worry - as I think has become very evident, we're never going to be exactly in the same place at the same time with any of our reading! Think how insane it's going to get when we're reading DIFFERENT books! I think we'll get a little practice in with our first deviation when you read Zahn and I read more X-wing but think what a fabulously chaotic mess it will be when I'm plowing through 19 NJO novels while you read 13 YJK novels (dear god, will that slow us down ^_^).

    Also, if I were a betting man (?), I'd put money down right now that you're going to end up finishing this book before I do ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I didn't realize that you were going to read more X-Wing while I'm reading the Thrawn books. I thought we'd be reading them together. But that makes sense since you just read them recently, and you pretty much know them backwards and forwards. It's been years since I've read them, though I did listen to Heir on audio book a few months ago. I'm really looking forward to the reread!

    Of course I'll finish first, at least when we diverge for our two different series. I've got 13 books that are half the size of your 19 books! I may slip in another trilogy I've been wanting to read if you're still working on that series. It's one by K.W. Jeter called the Bounty Hunter trilogy. It's all about Boba Fett. Pre-new movies (that totally destroyed any mystery Lucas cultivated around Boba Fett with the first movies...), so I'm curious to see how this author paints the most notorious bounty hunter in the galaxy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that trilogy is SO good! It shocked me when I read it (about a decade ago ^_^) and I really genuinely liked and cared about the characters. It's well-written and fascinating and would make an awesome addition to your reading list.

    Yeah, sorry, we discussed me not rereading Zahn again while we were planning this project but that was a while ago. To be honest, I may wind up listening to all the audiobooks again (did I tell you I have the unabridged "Dark Force Rising" and "Last Command"?) because Marc Thompson did such an epic job on "Last Command", especially. But yeah, I'd like to get into "Rogue Squadron" instead. I'll just read those until you finish Thrawn ...

    It's going to be fascinating reading series instead of stand-alone books coming up here soon. We have Thrawn (and Rogue Squadron), we have Jedi Academy, we have the Corellian Trilogy (SO excited for that one!). Then the MASSIVE series like NJO and YJK. It's going to be epic going into the final leg with "Legacy of the Force" ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! I'm such a sucker for series because I just don't want the book to end. So trilogies and series feed right into that particular book addiction. (Addictions within book addictions?)I think I vaguely remember you mentioning that you were going to branch off while I was reading Thrawn, now that you mention it. I know it's a particular favorite trilogy of yours, so I'm feeling a little timid about making comments on it. Because I loved it! And I love TZahn! But I also remembering feeling... sticky is the only way I can describe it... about certain parts of the three books. You have to promise to still love me when we're done with those books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heehee, you're absolutely allowed (and required!) to be honest about your reading experience. I won't be offended - I'd be disappointed if I felt like you were walking on egg-shells. I love TZahn and actually love him MORE reading as an adult because I have the patience to read through the technical elements of his writing. What I've discovered (and remember that this is just MY reading experience) is that the patience pays off because the details he includes actually contribute in a major way to the depth and detail of his story. Unlike Stackpole (I'm discovering), TZahn never includes anything - details, dialogue, information - that doesn't in some way enrich the story.

    To be honest, it was listening to the audiobooks that helped me reimagine the stories I'd loved so much as a kid. It'll be fascinating to see if your reading experience is similar or what you notice that I've missed!

    And I want to hear about ALL OF IT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, good! Because I won't hold back! ^_^

    ReplyDelete