Star Wars

Star Wars
Property of George Lucas, LucasFilms Ltd.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Truce at Bakura

The Truce at Bakura by Kathy Tyers
Star Wars: The Truce at Bakura

Esme's Pre-reading Thoughts
As I look down at my battered library copy of Kathy Tyer's novel, which starts minutes after the end of Return of the Jedi, the first thing I notice are the faces on the cover. I love Han Solo, I do, but I remember checking this book out for the first time, taking one look at Luke Skywalker's boyish face, and thinking, "Wow ... " 
I was twelve, but some things never change.

I have a hard time remembering what this one is about - the cover claims that the "new saga" begins with this novel, but I always think of my own beginnings in expanded universe, which began with Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy. I sort of remember Gaeriel Captison but only because she reappears in Roger MacBride Allen's Corellian Trilogy. Apart from a love of all things Zahn, there's a theme to my favorite Star Wars novels - the ones I remember and have actually reread before. $10 to anyone, apart from Rose, who figures out what that theme is.

Also, I need a Star Wars reading playlist!


9 comments:

  1. You are so right about the cover!! Luke definitely draws the eye. He's so young-looking still. Perhaps hinting at the fact that he's still just a brand new Jedi. I'm diving back into the book now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always fascinated by the iconic images the publishers decide to put on the book covers. I think it says a lot about the book - is it Leia of Cloud City or Leia of Endor? Is Han holding a blaster or is he smirking for no apparent reason? Is Luke dressed as a Jedi or as a fighter pilot? We should pay attention to trends as we read - how are the trio portrayed on the book jacket and does it have any bearing on the book's content?

    FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... An interesting idea! We'll have to judge the next few books and covers to see if they coincide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed - consider it noted ^_^ I definitely think it's interesting, too, that Han won't up in the middle of the "Truce at Bakura" cover ... given that the story seems to vacillate between Leia's struggle with the idea of Dark Vader as her father and Luke's struggle with a) his Force abilities and b) his total inability to take care of himself, I'm not sure why Han's the central image ... thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps he comes in later in the book and helps both with their issues? He is sort of centrally placed on the cover. I wonder if he becomes glue to hold everyone together. Dang, the only way to find out is to continue reading. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, no, how will we survive? ^_~ Any ideas on an SW playlist, by the way? You're the one with the badass music, I feel ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm... I'll think on it and maybe post a blog with music. Do you want one just for Truce, or for our booklist in general?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure ... I think maybe something for the whole booklist? Possibly you can start a playlist post and, OH OH OH, then we can add songs to it and explain what books/reading/ships/whatever inspired us to add those songs to the playlist. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooooo, great idea!! I'll get started on it right away! ^_^

    ReplyDelete