Star Wars

Star Wars
Property of George Lucas, LucasFilms Ltd.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Wookies and romance *wink wink nudge nudge*

I'm now about 80 pages into "The Truce at Bakura" and enjoying the heck out of it! It's immediately exciting, drawing Luke, Han, Leia, and the gang away from Endor just as the battle there is ending. A threat in the form of an unknown alien attack fleet presents itself, and they can't refuse the request for help. What do the aliens want? We'll find out as the book unfolds, but that's not the point of this post. This post is to talk about the romantic part of Star Wars.

 As viewers may recall from "Return of the Jedi" Leia and Han get close and comfy after the battle of Endor. Kathy Tyers takes this and runs with it. Forget that a strange, freaky alien race is threatening a distant Imperial planet. Han and Leia are going to get some private time! At least, in between space battles, diplomatic missions, dodging Force-wielding aliens, and quips from Threepio.Even better, Tyers takes their relationship to whole new levels when she has Chewbacca set up Han's love nest so he can have a little snuggle with the princess.


Wookies, of course, have a completely different idea of what constitutes love nests. He literally makes a nest out of pillows. Han, ever grouchy, gets all grumpy about it, but Leia isn't going to let a thing like pillows on the floor get in her way, royalty or not. And Chewie has no doubt that he's done well, as Leia is a "genteel woman" (direct quote from the book) and will appreciate the set up. Too bad the lovebirds are interrupted by a sudden bout of alien attack droids.

This whole scene had me laughing until I couldn't breath. Han having Chewie put together a romantic encounter! It just doesn't get any better than that. Perhaps Tyers has more hilarious romantic interludes waiting for me later in the book. One can only hope. In the meantime, this was a nice aside from the space romping and X-Wing battles. I'm so ready to read more!

11 comments:

  1. God, I hope she does! As I'm reading this, too, I'm wondering if, some of the novels I've missed, Luke gets action like this ... I realize he's a stoic Jedi and all, but between Gaerial, Callista, and Mara, there have got to be opportunities for silly romantic interludes ... Ro? Can you think of any? I mean, now I'm thinking about it, Han and Leia get the entirety "Courtship of Princess Leia" for this ... does Luke get his own "canoodling" book, I wonder? I guess we'll find out ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. LOVE the pics - where the heck did you find them??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luke does sort of get left out doesn't he? I mean, he does eventually marry Mara, but still, there's not big book that's dedicated entirely to that. I think maybe because Mara wasn't in the movies, and Han and Leia's romance was built up from the first movie onward. But still, Luke totally deserves a wooing book! Hmmmm... maybe we should write a fanfic later on... ^_~

    PS: All I did was google "Chewie and Leia" and they popped up! The second one is solid gold!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do seem to remember that Luke gets captured and is almost forced to marry a Dathomir Witch (and I can't for the life of me remember her name... I just know she's the mother of Tenel Ka (sp?), a character from Young Jedi Knights) in The Courtship of Princess Leia. I don't think Luke is hurting for female companionship... ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, but Luke's capture and the subsequent "wooing" are totally not romantic, if I'm remembering right. They're more incidental - Luke gets "captured" and conveniently that leads him to Leia and Han. And also the Night Sisters, whom he has to defeat.

    Actually, I'm kind of excited for "Courtship" now ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. ME TOO!! I seem to remember that being one of my favorite books when I was a kid. I wonder if it will be too simple and easy for me now. Or if I'll just get swept away in the wonderful nostalgia that goes with reading these all again. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny but I'm pretty sure YOU were the one who talked me into reading "Courtship" in the first place because you loved Han/Leia so much....I might be imagining things ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...that's because I hypnotized you until you read it... Hehehehe. What else did I hypnotize you to do you may be asking yourself right about now. *maniacal laugh*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. I mean, you were two whole years older ... I was very impressionable ^_~

      Delete
  10. ...and I have certain browbeating skills, even back then. ^_~

    ReplyDelete